F1 vs J1 visa

  • What's the difference?

  • F-1 Visa

    The F-1 is the most common visa status used by students in the U.S. and best fits a student’s situation.

    J-1 Visa

    The J-1 visa status is generally used for students in specific educational exchange programs. To be eligible for a J-1, students must receive more than 50% of their funding from an institutional or government sponsor in the form of a scholarship, fellowship, assistantship, stipend, tuition waiver, or other direct support provided specifically for the educational program.